29 April 2013

Pirate Backgrounds



As a continuation of our 2d backgrounds project we were asked to develop a exterior layout and an interior and exterior background from last terms storyboard project.

however neither my layouts or backgrounds are a straight adaption from the boards as I felt I have come on since then and wanted to show my progress.


above is my initial brainstorm and adaptions from the boards. 

below is my next three adaptions from the boards. 

^ this frame will become the exterior background focusing on showing depth through the use of colour, my plan is to use dark colours in the for ground blending into bright yellow hues, showing both depth and the glow from the blaze.

one of my contextual references for artists is the below piece of concept art from Pirates of the Carribean 


My second Background is an interior shot, focusing on how a soft key light and a secondary light create shadows. 

this task has proven more challenging than the others as i wasn't sure how to draw the inside of the boat, however I decided that as the task was to focus on lighting I would only have my main features illuminated therefore removing the need to show the structure of the boat rather just the cramp composition of the main props. 



the image below shows what areas will be illuminated and what will be in a shadow.


the last task is to create a exterior layout focusing on drawing the eye to a 3d space, below is my design for it, ready for neatening up and enlarging.