21 April 2013

Sun, Sea , Rockpools and Idents



New Brief - with Adam Aiken 


As we've finished our experimental brief with Derek we've now been set a new project to create a short Ident for our course at Falmouth, 

My Ideas

As soon as the brief was properly explained my brain flourished with ideas for this project, the brief was simple and we practically had the freedom to create what ever we wanted as long as it fits these simple rules:

- up to 10 seconds in length
- need to consider music and sound effects (most idents dont have dialogue)
- if you use music it cannot be copyrighted
- its best if its funny abstract or poetic
-visually engagging
-  includes the logo for the course and the university
- and don't just use a computer to create it think like an experimental piece. 

I really want my piece to not only describe the course but also the environment that we are surrounded in, therefore I would quite like my piece to reflect everything to do with the sea. 

below are some of  my initial ideas 

- The Bucketrope a play on the zoetrope, inspired by Tim Wheatley's The Cyclotrope but using a bucket funnily enough, featuring a sea gull's flight on the side as it spins. - not sure how I would include the logos though.

-  Chalk drawings using pebbles as a canvas, using Gylly beach as my inspiration I found this collection of rocks and I love how the environment has created a sort of cave drawing on the center rock.

- My favourite idea so far was inspired by both exploring Gylly beach in this lovely weather and by watching BBC FOUR's documentary on the secret life of rock pools, highlighting how they come to life during the night. hence the birth of my idea to create an Ident inside a rockpool in which the sea creatures are the logos.  


It is my intention to create my piece in black and white and then gradually turn it into colour making the piece more abstract whilst also hinting at how the industry is always evolving. 

Contextual references 

Walt Disney studios  'Paperman' 


Tiji 'Colour' was created by Akama Studios  and it follows how a sad little panda is the only one who is not coloured in. 


Black and White (In colour)  was created by Eran Amir  by using painting the whole room (including Eran in greyscale before stripping off the grey tones and replacing them with vibrant colours. 


The gradual reappearance of colour within Eran's short is what I hope to create in my ident.

thanks for reading :)